Thursday, February 7, 2013

Viewpoints on the VAM Conference: Glavé & Holmes' Steven Blashfield


Somewhere after January 1st every year I start to really think about the upcoming VAM Conference as I start to look ahead. It is really a nice kick off, coming in the early part of the year. In the past few years, I have been a speaker, a vendor and a sponsor, continuing the support of VAM by my firm, Glave & Holmes Architecture, now for more than two decades. So, the leading up to the annual conference is also a good bit of work. But, its good work, and work that culminates in a fun and engaging three day event, which I truly look forward to each March. Over the last three years, my work has taken me to numerous conferences, including AAM, SEMC, AASLH, and state museum association conferences in Tennessee and South Carolina. I can easily say that from what I have experienced Margo, Jennifer and their team run one of the best conference experiences in which I have participated. Last year, I laughed heartily as the guest speaker at the Leadership Program joked about taking clandestine photos with his colleagues of each wearing General Patton’s helmet, in the back room. In Portsmouth, I was inspired by the global warming exhibit in the Courthouse Gallery, but then I think I almost threw out my shoulder in the pitching machine at the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame. I have learned some very interesting stories, been amazed by the masterful effort put in by our Virginia museum professionals, and made some good friends. 
The Hermitage Museum and Gardens

I always come out of the three day event with a few museums I just have to visit. This past year’s conference led me into the Federal Reserve Museum in Richmond, Gatsby’s Tavern and the Apothecary Museum in Alexandria, the James Monroe Museum in Fredericksburg, and to ultimately become a Trustee at the Hermitage Museum & Gardens in Norfolk. It’s kind of like a tractor beam how they pull you in.



Interestingly enough, my connection to the Hermitage Museum started several years ago, at my first VAM conference, held in Richmond. The Museum Director, Melanie Mathewes, stopped by my booth in the Exhibit Hall, and noting my last name proceeded to tell me how they had a collection of work by one of my distant relatives, an accomplished muralist named Edwin Howland Blashfield. She proceeded to pull her head curator over, who exclaimed, “It’s like meeting a celebrity.” Nothing like stroking the ego a little. But, also at the same time funny how curator’s get wrapped up in their work. For a painter who kicked off his career by painting a ceiling in one of the buildings of the famous 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, a seminal point in history for architect’s like me, has paintings in museums coast to coast, and completed murals in numerous State Capitols and the Library of Congress, Blashfield is remarkably unknown. So, to find someone who already knew this distant history of my own ancestors and was excited about it … well what can I say. But, it’s also why I have gravitated to museums in my profession; they are all such wonderful opportunities for discovery. I can’t wait to see what new things I will discover this year.

(Photos are Edwin Howland Blashfield and his Evangeline, and the Hermitage Museum & Gardens – Norfolk – both are courtesy of the Hermitage Museum & Gardens)

Steven Blashfield, AIA, LEED AP
Cultural Studio Director 

elevating the human spirit …

2101 E. Main Street
Richmond, VA 23223
t: (804) 649-9303
f: (804) 343-3378

No comments: